How Much Storage Space Do I Need?
Running out of space at home? If so, you’re probably considering off-site storage. If you’re contemplating renting a storage unit, one of the very first questions you’re going to have to ask yourself is, “How much storage space do I need?” While you can get an idea of approximately how much storage space you need by surveying the items you need put into storage, it can still be difficult to figure out the exact amount of storage space you require. Storage facilities rent out storage space by size, so the next (more specific) question you need to ask yourself is, “What size storage unit do I need?”
Storage space sizes tend to start at 5′ x 5′ and then increase in size from there. But how big is a 5×5 storage space? How big is a 5×10 storage unit? How big is a 10×10 storage unit? Here are some common storage space sizes converted over to spatial terms that’ll help you imagine approximately how much storage space you’re actually getting and what fits inside that space.
- A 5′ x 5′ storage space will fit the contents of a walk-in closet.
- A 5′ x 10′ storage space will fit the contents of a studio apartment.
- A 5′ x 15′ storage space will fit the contents of a small one bedroom apartment.
- A 10′ x 10′ storage space will fit the contents of a one bedroom apartment.
- A 10′ x 15′ storage space will fit the contents of a two bedroom apartment.
- A 10′ x 20′ storage space will fit the contents of a three bedroom apartment.
Here are some other useful ways to think of, and picture, the above storage space sizes! ***Please remember that these suggestions are approximations and will vary depending on the amount of stuff you have.
- Need storage for seasonal items like sporting equipment, clothing, holiday decorations, etc.? Go with a 5′ x 5′ storage space!
- Looking to store the stuff in your college dorm while you’re off for summer break? Go with a 5′ x 10′ storage space!
- Showing your home to potential buyers and want to clear out some of your stuff? Go with a 5′ x 15′ storage space!
- Emptying out your NYC apartment? Go with a 10′ x 10′ storage space!
- Clearing out the garage? Go with a 10′ x 15′ storage space!
- Moving out of your Long Island home and need storage for the interim? Go with a 10’ x 20’ storage space!
Still unsure of how much storage space you need? Here’s a tip! After you finish packing up your belongings, use some tape to measure out the size space you believe you need to house your things. Then start moving your stuff into that space to see if it all fits. Don’t forget that you can stack things to utilize that space more efficiently!
Now that you have a better understanding of how much storage space you need, head over to Zippboxx’s Storage Plan by Space page to select your necessary storage space size & term.