Town of Hempstead, NY ULTIMATE Utilities Guide 💡 | PSEG Long Island, National Grid Gas, Town of Hempstead Water Districts & More
Are you moving to Hempstead, NY or relocating within the town? With so much to do ahead of your move, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed – especially when you are trying to figure out utility providers and set up service! Here’s everything you need to know about the Town of Hempstead utilities and how to get started.
Table of Contents
Who Provides Utilities in the Town of Hempstead? A Quick Primer
Town of Hempstead utilities can be confusing as a new resident. The town contains 22 villages plus 38 hamlets. Depending on where you live, utilities may be provided by the Town of Hempstead, a village, a special district, or a private company.
Water, sewer, and sanitation services on Long Island can be provided by a city, town, or incorporated village throughout the municipality or just to certain sections. There are also independent special districts that provide service with an elected board. You may receive water service by a water authority or corporation.
If you live in a special district, you may be billed for service like metered water use or sewer rent with fees that appear on your property tax bill. If you are served by a water authority, water may be provided to the municipality or you may be billed directly.
Because Long Island is a patchwork of local government and special districts, it can be challenging to figure out who provides service to your address! A great resource is the nextLI interactive map which shows boundaries for local governments and special districts.
The tool allows you to easily see sewer, water, and garbage districts in the Town of Hempstead and the rest of Long Island.
Town of Hempstead Water | Town of Hempstead Department of Water & Special Districts & WAWNC
There are more than one dozen water districts in the Town of Hempstead! The Town of Hempstead Water Department operates six districts:
- Uniondale Water District
- East Meadow Water District
- Levittown Water District
- Bowling Green Estates Water District
- Roosevelt Field Water District
- Lido-Point Lookout Water District
The town’s water department is based in the East Meadow water facility. The Town of Hempstead Dept of Water draws the town’s water supply from 32 wells, most in the Magothy Aquifer, with seven elevated and two ground storage tanks that have a capacity of 9 million gallons.
If you live outside these districts, your water service is provided by a village or private company. Other water districts in the Town of Hempstead include:
- Village of Hempstead Water District
- Greater Atlantic Beach Water Reclamation District (GABWRD)
- Freeport Village Water District
- Rockville Centre Village Water District
- Bethpage Water District covers 5 square miles and serves Bethpage and parts of Levittown, Farmingdale, and Plainview
- Franklin Square Water District serves 20,000 residents
- Cathedral Gardens Water District serves the Cathedral Gardens section of West Hempstead with water supplied by the West Hempstead district
- Hicksville Water District serves 48,000 customers
- West Hempstead Water District serves about 32,000 people. The district covers most of West Hempstead, all of Garden City South, and a large portion of Franklin Square.
- Water Authority of Western Nassau County (WAWNC) serves about 100,000 people in the Town of Hempstead.
- Liberty, formerly New York American Water (NYAW), is a private water utility serving 113,000 households in the Town of Hempstead. The utility provides water to communities including Cedarhurst, Lynbrook, Lawrence, Merrick, Valley Stream, Hewlett, Baldwin Harbor, East Rockaway, and Oceanside. There are talks of a municipal takeover of the utility which could lower rates for households served by Liberty/NYAW.
Town of Hempstead Water Rates
There is a monthly water meter charge based on the size of the meter. A 1” or less meter is $50/month, a 1-1/2” meter is $75/month, a 2” meter is $100/month, and a 2” or greater meter is $200/month.
Water rates are set by the Town of Hempstead Code § 70-4:
- The first 0 to 80 gallons per day are billed $1.494 per 1,000 gallons
- 81 to 100 gallons per day: $1.559 per 1,000 gallons
- 101 to 120 gallons per day: $1.569 per 1,000 gallons
- 121 to 140 gallons per day: $1.582 per 1,000 gallons
- 141 to 160 gallons per day: $1.594 per 1,000 gallons
- 161 to 180 gallons per day: $1.608 per 1,000 gallons
Water rates are capped at $5.332 per 1,000 gallons with very high consumption per day.
Due to detected contaminants, the Town of Hempstead is installing a $100 million filtration system. In 2022, the Town of Hempstead announced a $20 quarterly fee to residents’ water bills to pay for the new system.
The average household used 144,271 gallons of water per year or 395 gallons daily in 2020. The average Town of Hempstead water bill depends on the water district. For instance, if you are served by the Town of Hempstead, you will pay at least $50 per Kamagra month for service, a $20 quarterly fee, and water rates starting at $1.494 per 1,000 gallons. In the Village of Freeport, the minimum quarterly charge is $39 with water rates starting at $2.08 per 1,000 gallons.
In general, the average Nassau County water bill is $499 per year compared with $347 in Suffolk County. Freeport has one of the lowest water rates in Nassau County. New York American Water/Liberty customers, including residents in Merrick, Bellmore, and Wantagh, pay $720 per year on average. These hamlets pay some of the highest Long Island water prices.
Start Water Service in Hempstead
If you are in one of the six Town of Hempstead water districts, you can establish water service by contacting the Town of Hempstead Water Department customer service at (516) 296-7249. Below, you can see the Town of Hempstead Water Service Application Card you will need to fill out.
If you are in a different water district, see the list above for contact information for your district.
Pay Your Town of Hempstead Water Bill
You can pay your Town of Hempstead water bill online by clicking here. You will need to sign up for an account with your account number and address.
Water bills are due within 45 days of the date of the bill. A late charge of 10% is added for bills not paid within 45 days. Water service may be discontinued if the bill is unpaid for 90 or more days.
You can view payment options for other districts by following the links in the list above. Many water districts also allow online bill pay.
Contact Info for Town of Hempstead Water
- Town of Hempstead Water Department, 1995 Prospect Ave, East Meadow, NY 11554
- (516) 794-8300
- Emergencies: (516) 794-8181
Trash Collection | Town of Hempstead Department of Sanitation & Special Sanitation Districts & Village Sanitation Districts
The Town of Hempstead’s Sanitation Department handles disposal of solid waste for the entire Town of Hempstead. However, there are many sanitation districts in the town responsible for trash collection.
The Sanitation Department handles trash collection and recycling for:
- Barnum Isle
- Bay Park
- East Meadow
- Harbor Isle
- Lido Beach
- North Lynbrook
- Point Lookout
- South Westbury
The Town of Hempstead provides trash collection twice a week with yard waste only collected on Wednesdays. You can see the 2022 sanitation collection schedule here.
If you live outside these communities, trash collection is provided by the city or a special collection district.
Special Sanitation Districts are:
- Sanitary District 1 – Five Towns, Green Acres, Inwood & Valley Stream South
- Sanitary District 2 – Baldwin, part of Roosevelt/Uniondale & South Hempstead
- Sanitary District 6 – Elmont, Franklin Square, Garden City South, Lakeview, Malverne Park, North Valley Stream, South Floral Park & West Hempstead
- Sanitary District 7 – Oceanside
- Sanitary District 14 – East Atlantic Beach & Atlantic Beach Estates
The following villages have their own Sanitation Department and collection:
- Atlantic Beach Village
- Bellerose Village
- East Rockaway Village
- Floral Park Village
- Freeport Village
- Garden City Village
- Hempstead Village
- Island Park Village
- Lynbrook Village
- Malverne Village
- Rockville Centre Village
- South Floral Park Village
- Stewart Manor Village
- Valley Stream Village
Contact Info for Town of Hempstead Sanitation Department
Sewer Service | Nassau County Sewage District & Municipal Sewer Districts
Most of the Town of Hempstead is covered by the Nassau County Sewage District under the Department of Public Works (DPW). The county’s sewer system handles about 95% of the county’s sewage. However, there are several small, independent sewage or water pollution control districts. The Nassau County Sewage District also treats sewage from many independent systems.
Independent treatment facilities in the Town of Hempstead include:
- Greater Atlantic Beach Water Reclamation District
- Village of Cedarhurst
- Village of Lawrence
- Village of Jones Beach
The following municipal sewer districts collect sewage but pump it to a county facility for treatment:
- Village of Hempstead
- Village of Rockville Centre
- Village of Freeport
Contact Info for Nassau County Department of Public Works
Hempstead, NY Electric Company | PSEG Long Island (PSEGLI) & Municipal Electricity Utilities
Most of the Town of Hempstead is served by Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) of Long Island. Overseen by the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), PSEGLI is the primary electricity company for the entire island.
Note that there are two villages in the Town of Hempstead that have formed their own electric utilities. Homeowners in these villages usually pay lower rates than PSEG electric rates.
PSEGLI Rates & Average Bill
The average PSEG Long Island customer uses 755 kilowatt-hours per month with an average electricity bill of $162 per month. PSEG electric rates depend on whether you are a heating or non-heating customer. You can see PSEGLI rates here.
View this post on Instagram
How to Set Up a PSEG Long Island Account
To set up electricity service, you will need to call PSEG Long Island customer service at 1-800-490-0025. You can also visit a customer service center. Click here to view PSEG Long Island locations.
PSEGLI Bill Pay Options
You can pay your PSEG Long Island bill with any of these options.
- Online PSEGLI bill pay
- Pay by phone at 1-800-490-0025
- Pay with the PSEG Long Island app
- Pay in person at a Customer Service Center or Authorized Pay Station
- Mail a check or money order to: PSEG Long Island, PO Box 888, Hicksville, NY 11802
PSEG Customer Service & Contact Info
- PSEG Long Island, 1650 Islip Ave, Brentwood, NY 11717
- (800) 490-0025
Natural Gas in Hempstead | National Grid Long Island
Town of Hempstead natural gas is provided by National Grid Long Island. One of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the country, National Grid LI and the Town of Hempstead announced in 2022 that they will build one of the largest and first clean hydrogen projects in the U.S. as a joint venture. The HyGrid Project will be located in Point Lookout and heat about 800 homes and fuel municipal vehicles.
The Village of Lynbrook allows residents to save on natural gas by enrolling in Lynbrook Community Energy, a Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) that lets the village bid for cheaper supply rates. Some other municipalities offer similar arrangements to help residents.
Hempstead Natural Gas Rates & Average Bill
The average natural gas bill in the Town of Hempstead is $248 to $344 with the average customer using 720 therms per month. Click here to see current National Grid gas rates.
How to Start Natural Gas Service in Hempstead
Click here to request gas service online. Note that you will need to give your Social Security number. You can also set up natural gas service by calling National Grid at 1-800-930-5003.
National Grid Bill Pay Options
You can pay your National Grid gas bill in the following ways:
- Pay online
- Use Speedpay to pay by debit or credit card (fee)
- Pay by phone at 1-800-930-5003 (fee)
- Pay at a National Grid location or authorized payment location
- Mail a check or money order to National Grid, PO Box 11791, Newark, NJ, 07101
Now that you know how to set up utilities in the Town of Hempstead, are you ready to take the next steps for moving day? Zippboxx is ready to help with a team of friendly, experienced Hempstead movers who will give you the stress-free move you deserve.