6 Beautiful & Active 55+ Communities on Long Island 🏌 👩🦳️ [list, map, tips]
Are you thinking about retiring on Long Island? Whether you are a long-time resident ready to kick back and enjoy your golden years or you want to enjoy your favorite summer vacation spot year-round in retirement, it’s easy to see the appeal.
Is Long Island a good place to retire? Absolutely, if you want to spend your golden years in one of the best summer resort destinations on the East Coast! Why settle for visiting when the best retirement communities on Long Island give you easy access to dozens of pristine beaches, excellent healthcare, outdoor recreation, and NYC nearby. You can even find fairly affordable places to retire on Long Island if you know where to look!
If you’re interested in soaking up the Long Island lifestyle and spending your days pursuing hobbies, recreation, and socializing, you’ll find dozens of top-rated retirement communities on Long Island.
Here’s a look at the best Long Island 55+ communities, whether you’re looking for affordable senior living in a beautiful setting or you’re interested in upscale amenities and planned activities.
Table of Contents
What Is a 55+ Community?
A 55 and over community is essentially a community designed for seniors 55 and older. Sometimes called active adult or retirement communities, they are far from the retirement villages of decades past. Communities usually have an age restriction and may offer many housing options including small cottages, condos, or apartments that may be leased or purchased, sometimes with an entrance fee that covers a huge array of amenities, planned activities, outings, entertainment, and services.
Benefits of Living in a 55 Plus Community
Moving into a retirement village in the past meant slowing down, but today’s senior adult communities on Long Island are about embracing a new era of life free of work and busy schedules. Here are some benefits that Long Island retirement villages can offer.
- Maintenance-free living
- Convenient services like chef-prepared meals and housekeeping frees you from chores
- There is a great sense of community
- It’s easier to meet people and socialize because all residents are 55+
- There are often planned activities, events, classes, and entertainment to enjoy or learn new hobbies, meet new friends, and enjoy the gorgeous surroundings
- You can benefit from on-site amenities like fishing, a putting green, beauty salon, fitness center, resident gardens, game rooms, tennis and bocce courts, and more
- 55 and older communities are often located in a central location near shopping, restaurants, medical facilities, beaches, and other services and attractions
Meadowbrook Pointe East Meadow in East Meadow, NY | Brand New Active Adult Community on Long Island with Luxury Country Club Living
Meadowbrook Pointe East Meadow is a beautiful 104-unit condo retirement community and one of the most exciting Long Island retirement communities in the Town of Hempstead. The community is age-restricted and accepts residents 62+.
Meadowbrook Pointe East Meadow delivers the convenience and low-maintenance lifestyle you’re looking for with modern luxuries. Two-bedroom, two-bath condos offer 961 to 1,394 square feet of living space. Ground floor units enjoy basements while upper floors have private elevators, balconies, and lofts. You’ll get the same quality of award-winning design the builder Beechwood has earned in New York: designer kitchens, luxury finishes, open floor plans, and nine-foot ceilings foster a tranquil yet airy environment to enjoy before you step outside to socialize in the lounge, take a dip in the pool, or head out on the town for shopping, dining, and beautiful South Shore beaches.
- Address: 123 Merrick Ave, East Meadow, NY 11554
- Website: Beechwoodhomes.com
- Phone: (516) 206-3050
- Living options: 2-bed, 2-bath condos for sale priced starting at $625k to $655k
- Amenities: Full-service maintenance management; club house with a fitness center, lounge, bar, and card room; pool; assigned parking
The Manors at the Colony Preserve in Shirley, NY | One of the Best Gated Retirement Communities on Long Island with a Secluded, Natural Setting Minutes from the Beach
The Manors at the Colony Preserve delivers exactly what you’re imagining when you think of living on Long Island year-round. It’s one of the most beautiful active retirement communities on the island with homes nestled in a park-like setting of 205 acres of landscaped grounds just over two miles from the beach. Residents enjoy resort-style amenities from a putting green, whirlpool, and pool to a gorgeous lake with row boats and paddle boats.
You’ll love the relaxed yet amenity-packed lifestyle on the property, but there’s even more to explore outside the gates. Smith Point County Park and Shirley Beach are just down the road and the community is adjacent to a large wildlife preserve. World-class Long Island vineyards and shopping are also easily within reach!
- Address: 333 William Floyd Pkwy, Shirley, NY 11967
- Website: TheColonyPreserve.com
- Phone: (631) 772-6770
- Living options: Single-level 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condos for sale
- Amenities: 205 acres of landscaped grounds, electronic gated entry, lake with leisure boats, putting green, pool deck with a sprawling pool and whirlpool, Clubhouse with a fitness center, great room, and activity rooms, planned social activities
Foxwood Village in Calverton, NY | Affordable, Gated Over 55 Retirement Village of 244 Manufactured Homes
Looking for a comparatively affordable option for senior living on Long Island? Manufactured home senior adult communities are a great way to enjoy everything the island has to offer.
Foxwood Village is one of Long Island’s oldest 55 and over communities with a history going back to the 80s. Residents lease their property with a lifetime lease and enjoy maintenance-free living with repairs and common area maintenance handled by the homeowner’s association.
You will be centrally located on LI close to the Tanger Outlet Mall, golfing, the Long Island Sound, and the Riverhead Center. There’s even a community fitness center, pool, and more with a close-knit community.
- Address: 1407 Middle Rd, Calverton, NY 11933
- Website: HometownAmerica.com
- Phone: (631) 369-2424
- Living options: Lifetime leases of manufactured homes
- Amenities: Scenic ponds, heated outdoor pool, shuffleboard, bocce ball, horseshoe pits, bingo room, clubhouse with catering kitchen, game room, library, lounge, and crafts and multi-purpose rooms
Peconic Landing in Greenport, NY | Award-Winning 55 Plus Community on Long Island with Scenic Views, Golfing and Continuing Care
Peconic Landing is one of the most remarkable over 55 retirement villages on Long Island with an active senior lifestyle that’s hard to beat. It’s the only equity-based Continuing Care Retirement Community in New York, allowing residents to enjoy the benefits of homeownership through a cooperative agreement. There’s also an option to add a lifecare agreement with assisted living and skilled nursing care if you ever need it.
View this post on Instagram
The Community Center overlooks the Long Island Sound with an unbelievable host of amenities like the solarium-style pool, art studio, and even a market and bank! Choose from several home styles:
- Patio homes which have the feel of a single-family home but less space
- Cottage homes, a rarity among Long Island retirement communities, with garages, fireplaces, and a community feel
- Apartments attached to the Community Center on the waterfront campus with underground parking
That’s not all that makes Peconic Landing one of the best Long Island 55+ retirement communities. The community is spread over 144 acres on the North Fork, rated as one of the best places in the U.S. to retire, next to the village of Greenport, Island’s End Golf & Country Club, and Kontokosta Winery.
- Address: 1500 Brecknock Rd, Greenport, NY 11944
- Website: PeconicLanding.org
- Phone: (631) 477-3800
- Living options: Cottage homes, patio homes, and apartments with equity ownership and the option to add a lifecare agreement
- Amenities: Pet-friendly, private walking trails, golf and tennis, art and sculpture studios, wellness center, pool and fitness center, beauty salon, market and bank, lounges, waterfront restaurant, bistro, lifetime learning options, social clubs, sculpture garden, venues hosting cultural events including art lessons and performances
Glenwood Village in Riverhead, NY | One of the Top Over 55 Communities on the East End with Affordable, Customizable Homes
Glenwood Village is one of the largest 55 and older communities on Long Island for active adults. Together with Glenwood Oaks, the community features 560 personalized manufactured homes. Residents enjoy a quiet community and privacy yet a strong sense of community. It’s also one of the most affordable active adult communities on the island! Your average monthly costs will be:
- $586 for monthly maintenance (including 49-year lease, water, sewer, garbage, and facilities)
- $50 to $500 for taxes (depending on your home and other factors)
- $100 to $200 for utilities
You can be enjoying Long Island retirement for just $700 to $1,300 a month!
Forget what you think you know about manufactured homes. There are five home models to choose from with a host of available upgrades. The newest model is the Robins Egg, a tiny home model! The homes are built using precision technology, quality materials, and custom review features with a range of options to design your home.
- Address: 1661 Old Country Rd #600, Riverhead, NY 11901
- Website: GlenwoodVillage.com
- Phone: (631) 727-3760
- Living options: 49-year lease on a manufactured home with upgrades and option packages
- Amenities: Recreation center with a library, kitchen, and laundry, fitness center, pool deck with inground pool and seating, golfing, planned outings, aerobics classes, arts and crafts, bocce courts, shuffleboard, putting green, bowling leagues, close to shopping, four public golf courses, vineyards, Atlantis Aquarium, and four beaches.
Atria Plainview in Plainview, NY | Upscale Active Adult Community with a Packed Calendar of Social & Cultural Events
Do you love to stay busy, learn new things, and try new foods? Atria Plainview may be the best 55 plus community on Long Island for you! The community offers 200+ entertainment, social, cultural, and educational events each month with excellent community amenities. One of the highlights? The chef-prepared meals included in your rent which can be enjoyed in the outdoor dining area or the restaurant-style dining room.
You can see a sample events calendar to get an idea of the types of activities you can enjoy without leaving the community!
- Address: 12 Washington Ave, Plainview, NY 11803
- Website: AtriaSeniorLiving.com
- Phone: (516) 933-0002
- Living options: Studio to 2-bedroom apartments starting at $5,300 to $9,500 per month
- Amenities: Chef-prepared meals, full calendar of planned events, scheduled transportation, housekeeping, emergency alert system, outdoor dining and formal dining rooms, garden, library, full-service spa and salon, fitness center, media room, wellness center, pet-friendly
Map of Long Island 55+ Communities
Ready to embrace retirement to its fullest in one of Long Island’s top-rated senior living communities? After choosing the community that offers the lifestyle and amenities you are looking for, Zippboxx can help you get settled with full-service movers who handle all the logistics and hard work. Give us a call today to discuss how we can help you!