Flying Solo: Tips For Living Alone
Living on your own for the first time can be an exciting and daunting prospect, but don’t let that initial intimidation keep you from pursuing living solo! Living by yourself can be incredibly rewarding, and teach you a lot about yourself and what living in the real world (away from mom and dad) is like. From learning how to allocate your funds better, to equipping your new digs with the essentials, to savoring time spent alone, there’s a lot to do, get used to and enjoy about living on your own.
Here are some helpful tips for living alone and having your own place!
Get Extra Security
Now that you’re living by yourself, securing your new place further is a good idea to give yourself peace of mind and stay safe. Change up the locks on your new place’s doors, install a low-key security system (like one connected to your doorbell) and make friendly with your neighbors so that they too will keep an eye out for anything or anyone suspicious.Develop A Schedule
Living on your own is exciting, but it isn’t a free-for-all. You still need some structure and implementing a schedule will help to do that. It will also aid in making sure that you’re getting what you need to get done, done. Set up a bill paying, laundry, grocery shopping, meal prep, etc. schedule, set reminders and check off the tasks as you complete them. Have The Necessities
There are certain things that a person should always have on hand. Flashlights, extra batteries, a tool kit, a step stool for those hard to reach light bulbs and spots that need to be cleaned, a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, medicine, extra trash bags and easy meal options for those days you need something in a pinch, or just don’t feel like cooking.Ask For Help
Living on your own, doesn’t mean that you have to do everything on your own. When you need help, advice or guidance reach out to your parents, friends and co-workers. Especially those who have lived on their own before! They will have lots of experiences to share that you can learn from. Need assistance during the process of moving into your new place? On demand storage companies like Zippboxx will help you pack up your things, store them for you while between places, and then take your items to your new place!
Learn To Budget
Now that you’re spending money on utilities, paying rent, in charge of getting the groceries, and all of your other new monetary responsibilities, budgeting is going to be extremely important. From big things, like canceling your cable, to small things, like making coffee at home instead of buying a cup of coffee from Starbucks, every cent counts. Save them where you can!
Here are 10 simple ways to save money:
- Turn off the lights and unplug appliances in rooms where they are not being used.
- When making movie plans choose the matinee showing or go on nights when they offer cheap tickets.
- Start couponing!
- Instead of buying books, start getting your books from the library.
- When you go out, only leave the house with how much money you’ve budgeted for yourself for that outing.
- Walk and ride your bike when you can to save on gas and wear and tear on your vehicle.
- Cook instead of going out to eat and batch cook when you do so your meals are already prepared.
- Use less water, by turning off the faucet when brushing your teeth, using low-flow showerheads, taking shorter showers, to cut down on water usage costs.
- Invite friends over more often, instead of going out, when making plans to hangout.
- If you’re a smoker, ditch that habit immediately. It’s expensive and unhealthy!
Now that you’re ready to live on your own, here are some of our favorite aspects of living alone!
- You get to choose how you decorate your place!
- You can adopt a pet to keep you company!
- You get control over what to watch on tv!
- You can use the bathroom and leave the door open!
- You get to choose who comes over and who doesn’t!
- You can liven up your space with plants!
- You get to plan your routine any way you want it!
- You can walk around naked whenever you want!